when internet disconnected, server locks up!!

Since 1.4.112818 Artica provides Q.O.S management trough it's interface
quality of service (QoS) refers to resource reservation control mechanisms rather than the achieved service quality. Quality of service is the ability to provide different priority to different applications, users, or data flows, or to guarantee a certain level of performance to a data flow

when internet disconnected, server locks up!!

New postby chris_c_ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 am

The internet gateway router is on a timer for the electrical power..

Every 24 hours, the timer makes the router power down for 30 minutes, this causes disconnection from the internet for approximately 31 minutes.

BUT... when the internet is disconnected... artica quickly consumes all of swap file, and xfce locks up completely !!! Major problem...!!!

Error message on htop: in top area near memory usage bar, it says something like "unable to write journal"... htop continues to show results 1x/second, and runs correctly for maybe 2minutes, until it shows the swap grows to almost full, then, xfce locks up, and I must power down the virtual machine, and restart it, and it insists on starting in recovery mode!!

It needs to recover because there are errors on the file system and it's read only...

fsck must run... I run fsck, it finds probably 50 errors.. it corrects the errors... reboot... artica starts correctly into normal mode.

Any suggestion how to fix this..?? I want artica to run OK until internet connection comes back on in 30 minutes, without damaging files or the disk data structure...
chris_c_

Artica servers number: 1
Linux System: Debian
Technical skills: A Geek

Re: when internet disconnected, server locks up!!

New postby admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:40 am

One question

When internet is down, is there any IP address affected on the computer ?
admin
Site Admin

New postby chris_c_ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm

admin wrote:One question

When internet is down, is there any IP address affected on the computer ?

artica machine is attached directly to the gateway router, but IP address is assigned via static DHCP with lease time of 1 week.

Maybe there is IP address during the gateway router power down, but I am not sure if the static DHCP IP address is persistent, or not, during "link down" state.

So I will observe for this next time during the time the gateway router is powered down.
chris_c_

New postby admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm

My question is important

If the link is down , i can make a check easly to force artica to do nothing until there is no assigned IP.
admin
Site Admin

New postby chris_c_ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm

admin wrote:My question is important

If the link is down , i can make a check easly to force artica to do nothing until there is no assigned IP.

OK it sounds like a good idea to make the check.

For me to verify if there is an IP in artica server, I have to wait until 0800am GMT to look at artica...
chris_c_

Return to QoS (Quality of Service)