difficult error situation with cyrus + thunderbird

All questions about cyrus-imap used by artica

difficult error situation with cyrus + thunderbird

New postby chris_c_ » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:14 am

I have a difficult error situation with cyrus and thunderbird, I hope to get some help with this, without losing some mails...

a) my users (on one domain/organization in artica) have shared email boxes. I configured this, using cyradm, to allow them to "subscribe" to the other users' mailboxes, as documented in cyradm manual.

b) For example, one particular user has "archives" dating back 4+ years, that 2 other users must sometimes search/read messages. So I gave the other users a read-only access on that Archives mailbox heirarchy.

c) The tree is like : Archives (folder) -> 2007 (folder), 2008 (folder), 2009 (folder), 2010 (folder) -> each folder has for example: 2008-Q1 (folder), 2008-Q2 (folder), 2008-Q3 (folder), 2008-Q4 (folder) -> 2008-Q1 folder contains 10,000 messages... 2008-Q2 also contains 10,000 messages.... etc..

d) using the thunderbird email client, one of the users dragged a email to a write-proteced Archives folder. It was blocked because the Archives folder is write-protected.

e) But now, here is the problem: Thunderbird is giving infinite loop error message in the Thunderbird Activity Monitor: "Could not connect to server artica...." It retries infinitely. Just on that one PC. The user (who owns the shared Archive mailboxes) is blocked from viewing new messages in his Inbox, only on that PC. The inbox (only on that PC) is frozen to a certain date and time. Error when saving sent messages to the Sent folder. And, error when saving draft messags to the Drafts folder. Only on that PC.

f) I have a suspicion there is a bug in Thunderbird: it doesn't check that the mailbox is read-only before it tries to move the message from source to destination folder. However, if I enable write on the Archives folder, and it moves the message to the folder, I will not know which messages they are, and they might get lost forever.

Any suggestion on how to handle this the best way ?
chris_c_

Artica servers number: 1
Linux System: Debian
Technical skills: A Geek

Re: difficult error situation with cyrus + thunderbird

New postby admin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:32 am

We have found a bug on latest Artica release that privileges are not set correctly in mailboxes.

you can try to upgrade to 1.4.122209 and apply permissions on the user mailbox to see if it fix the issue.
admin
Site Admin

New postby chris_c_ » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:53 am

admin wrote:We have found a bug on latest Artica release that privileges are not set correctly in mailboxes.

you can try to upgrade to 1.4.122209 and apply permissions on the user mailbox to see if it fix the issue.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Apply permissions from inside artica? or from cyradm command line?
chris_c_

New postby admin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 am

Apply permissions from inside artica? or from cyradm command line?

The 2 methods do the same...
admin
Site Admin

New postby chris_c_ » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:10 pm

admin wrote:We have found a bug on latest Artica release that privileges are not set correctly in mailboxes.

I haven't tried it yet (waiting to do a large backup). While waiting, can I ask: Is there some details about the bug thatyou found in artica for these cyrus permissions ? I'm wondering because it's a critical area of functionality for my users.
chris_c_

New postby admin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:27 pm

just interface problem that permissions on cyrus mailbox was not saved into the Artica database or cannot be changed
admin
Site Admin

New postby chris_c_ » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:23 am

Suppose I write-enable the folders (archives) , and the email client (rhunderbird) succeeds to move the mail that it is stuck in infinite loop trying to move...

Is there a log that I can read, that will tell me exactly which mails got moved into the preciously write-protected Archives folder (now temporarily write-enabled)...?? I want to take those mails, and move them back the the Inbox where they belong. Buit the archives contains something like 15 folders of 10,000 messages each. Easier if I could read the log and see which message it is, if I have to search for it I might never see it.
chris_c_

New postby admin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:15 pm

not at all, even the client bug, the protocol is not been corrupted so the server will act that moving commands are real commands and perform operations without logging something
admin
Site Admin

New postby chris_c_ » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:36 am

admin wrote:not at all, even the client bug, the protocol is not been corrupted so the server will act that moving commands are real commands and perform operations without logging something

and if I want to temporarily force a more verbose level of logging? I want to see all successful move operations into a particular heirarchy ( archives ). If possible, this would be great time saver. Then I reduce the logging to normal level (errors only).
chris_c_

Return to Cyrus-imap